Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Review: Stargirl - Jerry Spinelli


I've known about the Stargirl books for some time. I even have a friend who was impacted by the novel so much she has Stargirl tattooed on her arm. Initially I rolled by eyes, I mean I roll my eyes at any book inspired tattoo to be completely honest.

Last year I saw Stargirl sitting by itself at a local library book sale, I bought it for a whopping twenty-five cents! It's sat beside my bed since then. “I'll get to it sometime.” I would say, but then again I say that about my one-hundred plus collection of books that I've yet to read.

I signed up for the Goodreads reading challenge again this year, my goal is to read thirty books. I decided why not start with Stargirl after all many people had said it impacted their life... if only I had known what I was getting myself into.

Stargirl is a novel about a very interesting young women in a small town population. She's caring, supportive and outgoing. Everyone seems to love her until the moment when she starts supporting the opposing team as well as her own. I mean after all, what kind of person does that?

The book follows Leo and his complex relationship with Stargirl. It covers several topics. I'd suggest it to the middle grade crowd, especially to children who feel they do not fit in as they should. This novel isn't amazingly written, BUT it hits all of the heart strings all at once, which easily could make it a classic. I think everyone wants to connect with Stargirl when really most of us would end of being the Leo's of the world.

Purchase
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Publication date: 5/11/2004

1 comment:

Liza (WhoRuBlog) said...

Wow, a Stargirl tattoo? Impressive. Cool it inspired your friend. I love it when a book changes/impacts a person's life.
Thanks for your review.