Monday, July 29, 2013

Review: Teeth - Hannah Moskowitz

I don't know where to start this review. I first purchased a Hannah Moskowitz novel at my event, The Teen Author Carnival. I had very little money that year and told her I needed to read Gone, Gone, Gone and it was in fact the only book I bought that whole trip to New York. I feel in love with Hannah's work and am glad that I decided to pick up Teeth.

What does a book about mermaids offer the young adult community? I was hesitant to pick up this book, not because I doubted the writing. I doubted anyone could make mermaids interesting. Many have tried, many have failed.

What makes Hannah's mermaid different then the other books? It's raw, in your face. After reading this I'm pretty sure Hannah could write a book about a magical piece of poop and I'd love it. There's something that Moskowitz has mastered that many have yet to learn.


She digs deep into herself to tell this story, a story unlike anything I've ever read from her. The story is so compelling and when you get down to the raw facts, it's about a boy, his sick brother and a fish boy. This is THE mermaid book the young adult genre has been waiting for. To put it simple it's fucking brilliant and I suggest you move it to the top of your reading piles if you haven't read it yet.

Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication: January 2013


No comments: