Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Iran "Votes"

I was not going to blog this week, family stuff. But I am siting here in the hospital waiting room and I want to get as many people as possible to take part in this!

But since this is a good tool to connect with people fast--I shall use it for good while I am 'away' from the computer.

I can not even begin to scratch the surface of what is going on in Iran, but many people still have no clue because the Media turned a blind eye at the events going on.

In a nutshell this is what is going on:

Iranians recently had the chance to vote.

Hand written ballots were collected from the people.
Like, TONS of people.

(A VERY small fraction of the people)



One hour after the ballots were collected,
it was announced that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad would remain president.

ONE HOUR.
HAND WRITTEN BALLOTS.
It takes us longer to calculate our ballots and it is almost completely ALL calculated by machines.

People started to protest.
The government shut down all aspects of connection to the outside world one by one.
But college students latched onto Twitter--when others could not report the news THEY DID.
On Twitter--the twitter so many of us bloggers use.

We can't do much from where we are.
But we can show support.

Like one would wave the American flag we are changing our display pictures to a tinted green.
I ask you to join us.

If you don't know how to do it yourself @DevynBurton and I will do it for you--I don't care who you are--Please do give me around a half hour to get your picture to you--Usually I move within minutes to complete each photo.



I thank @MelissaAnelli for bringing these events to my attention.
Like I said, I can't begin to scratch the surface of this--but feel free to do some of your own reading online. But beware, it is horrible, the events that are going on.


UPDATE #1: WE CAN HELP!
Please read Scott Westerfeld's blog for information on you can help!
http://scottwesterfeld.com/blog/?p=1050
This also APPLIES TO TWITTER!

UPDATE #2:
The Iranian government is trying to CENSOR the people of Iran. In this case censor, usually means death. Your help is needed -- Go into your settings and change your time zone to GMT +3:30 --and your location to Tehran. This helps clog up the system and lays down a blanket on the tweeters in Iran.
Image collected here.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. I had no idea the Twitter connection involved. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

We can help the people of Iran - The Iranian government is looking for dissident twitterers, so change your location and timezone to tehran! Spread the word!

Forcedreaction said...

Consider me greened. And location changed.

Ashley said...

Whoa I had no idea about any of this! Thanks for spreading the word. I'll change my twitter picture.

Paradox said...

I've been hearing a lot about this and the whole thing makes me very angry!

L said...

Omg. I had no idea that this was going on. That's terrible. Thanks for informing me.

Alley Of Books said...

I made it green!
Or rather you did for?
I forgot.
But its ridiculous actually. Thanks for the updates!