Thursday, July 16, 2009

Ellen Hopkins makes Devyn blush!

Today is my official birth date. -XO Devyn

I’ve been acquainted with Devyn for a while now. He’s one of the rare few young men who is not afraid to approach an author, say hey, and talk books. He is bright and sophisticated beyond his years. In fact, in many ways he seems much older than he is. Just 19 today? Hard to believe. (Hang on. This isn’t just about telling you how great he is. See comparison below!)

At 19, I was finding ways around my college classes. Smoking a little weed. (Hey, at least I wasn’t into alcohol. Probably helped me survive my party years.) Had already met Mr. Wrong, who would convince me to leave school, get married and start a family. With Mr. Wrong. (Get the picture?) I loved to write, even then, but had no clue I had something important to do with my writing. That was way out in my future. At the time, being a young wife, mother and closet writer was enough for me.

Now here’s Devyn, who at 19, has no doubt he will become an important author. He’s doing all the right things. Meeting industry professionals. Networking. Setting up charities that encourage a love of reading. Oh, and don’t forget actually writing. A very important thing, if you’re set on becoming an author. His focus on goals is amazing. And I have no doubt he will accomplish all he sets out to do.

My few words of advice for Devyn: Don’t forget to have a little fun along the way. Focus like yours can let you miss out on some of the good things in life. Not saying get married, have kids and be a closet writer. (Especially not with the wrong person!) Just don’t save all the fun for AFTER you’re a famous author. Every experience, good and bad, only deepens your writing. So start right now. It IS your birthday, after all. Have some fun. Then write about it later.

(If you’re so inclined, go ahead and tweet about it. We’ll all be waiting to hear.)

Happiest 19th, Devyn,

Ellen Hopkins


1 comment:

Thao said...

Woah Ellen is so sweet she wrote a post dedicated to you :) Btw happy birthday to you, i never know we're the same age. And good luck with your writing career too.