Saturday, August 14, 2010

SPROUT Review - Dale Peck

SPROUT - Dale Peck
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
Pages: 288
Release: May 26, 2009

My Rating:

Description:

How many secrets can you hide in plain sight?
Sprout Bradford has a secret. It’s not what you think—he’ll tell you he’s gay. He’ll tell you about his dad’s drinking and his mother’s death. The green fingerprints everywhere tell you when he last dyed his hair. But neither the reader nor Sprout are prepared for what happens when Sprout suddenly finds he’s had a more profound effect on the lives around him than he ever thought possible. Sprout is both hilarious and gripping; a story of one boy at odds with the expected.

I felt like I really connected with this book. I grew up in a very religious town during my high school years and was raised a Mormon until the age of nine. My sexuality really wasn't something I brought up much because at the time I was told by the pastors and so on in my life that I was basically an abomination.

Through my high school years I dyed my hair an assortment of colors, one of my favorite colors being green. Everyone at my school assumed my sexuality but anytime anyone questioned it I assured them that I was what they considered normal.

My town was very small with more churches than people, okay that's a joke but at times it felt like it. I understand the feeling of loneliness, falling for a friend--so many things. There are two books that I've ever felt like I could connect with at this level, Sprout and Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

I highly suggest this book to any supporter of the LGBT community and to anyone who lives in s small minded town. It's nice to know that even if Sprout is a character, someone knows how you feel. It gives you a feeling of relief.

Sprout is continually challenged through the book to stand up for what he believes in, some people push him to embrace his sexuality as others assure him no one in the state would support him. You'll just have to read the book to figure out what his choices are.

No comments: