Tuesday, April 26, 2011

JOHN BELUSHI IS DEAD - Review

John Belushi is Dead - Kathy Charles
Publisher: MTV
Pages: 320
Release: August 24, 2010

My Rating: 4/5

Description: 


IN THE END WE ALL FADE TO BLACK.


Pink-haired Hilda and oddball loner Benji are not your typical teenagers. Instead of going to parties or hanging out at the mall, they comb the city streets and suburban culs-de-sac of Los Angeles for sites of celebrity murder and suicide. Bound by their interest in the macabre, Hilda and Benji neglect their schoolwork and their social lives in favor of prowling the most notorious crime scenes in Hollywood history and collecting odd mementos of celebrity death.


Hilda and Benji’s morbid pastime takes an unexpected turn when they meet Hank, the elderly, reclusive tenant of a dilapidated Echo Park apartment where a silent movie star once stabbed himself to death with a pair of scissors. Hilda feels a strange connection with Hank and comes to care deeply for her paranoid new friend as they watch old movies together and chat the sweltering afternoons away. But when Hank’s downstairs neighbor Jake, a handsome screenwriter, inserts himself into the equation and begins to hint at Hank’s terrible secrets, Hilda must decide what it is she’s come to Echo Park searching for . . . and whether her fascination with death is worth missing out on life.

My Review: 

It's funny how books find their ways into our lives. I came across JOHN BELUSHI IS DEAD (JBID) because a friend from California had mentioned it to me. However, the book sat around the house for some time. I'd read the description several times over and couldn't work up the courage to crack it open.

That's when my new fascination grew. Death. Having Lupus, death is something that I think about on a daily basis, sometimes even hourly. You'll go mad if you start thinking about it all too much. Luckily for me I had an amazing book on hand JBID.

JBID Follows the story of Hilda, a pink-haired outcast living in California. She, like me, has her own fascination with death. Suicides and murders to be exact. I really enjoyed every aspect of this book. Hilda is one of my favorite characters ever, I'm really proud of how she grew though the story. It was almost like watching a young adult mature before my eyes.

This book made me feel many emotions and to take a look at my own personal demons. It takes a special kind of book to make me sit and think about my life once I finish reading. If you're looking for a fairytale this book isn't for you. If you're looking for a raw story about life, if you've ever taken time to realize the world is so much bigger than you--then this book is for you.

Check out the authors website, buy the book or read about the death of John Belushi here!

No comments: