Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Thank's for following my blog; An update...

I'm known on Twitter for being very opinionated about blogging in general. Blogging is taking a very interesting turn and I honestly cannot wait to see what direction everything goes in. With that being said there is also a very dark light in blogging as well, to put it simple it's exhausting. Anyone who has a hand in publishing will be the first to tell you that.

In the past years I have spent a majority of my time planning the Teen Author Carnival, running a hospital book charity Book Transfusion and teaming up with authors, doing behind the scene marketing. That's everything you see online, however my life has been much more complicated for as long as I can remember.

As some of you may or may not know, I was diagnosed with a disease when I was twelve. When I was fourteen I was given a Make-A-Wish. When I was sixteen(ish, possibly seventeen) I almost had my leg amputated. My disease is what causes most of my irritation when it comes to blogging, a major example; when I talked about publishers sending books I do not want.

Long story short, I have Lupus. If you watch House you may have heard of it, sadly in my case it really IS Lupus.

What is Lupus?

Sort Version: My body reads all cells as horrible virus and tries to kill off any good cells.

Long Version: 

Wikipedia:

Systemic lupus erythematosus (pronounced /sɪˈstɛmɪk ˈlupəs ˌɛrɪˌθiməˈtʰoʊsəs/ ( listen)), often abbreviated to SLE or lupus, is a systemic autoimmune disease (or autoimmune connective tissue disease) that can affect any part of the body. As occurs in other autoimmune diseases, the immune systemattacks the body's cells and tissue, resulting in inflammation and tissue damage.[1] It is a Type III hypersensitivity reaction caused by antibody-immune complex formation.
SLE most often harms the heartjointsskinlungsblood vesselsliverkidneys, and nervous system. The course of the disease is unpredictable, with periods of illness (called flares) alternating with remissions. The disease occurs nine times more often in women than in men, especially in women in child-bearing years ages 15 to 35, and is also more common in those of non-European descent.[2][3][4]
SLE is treatable through addressing its symptoms, mainly with cyclophosphamidecorticosteroids and immunosuppressants; there is currently no cure. SLE can be fatal, although with recent medical advances, fatalities are becoming increasingly rare. Survival for people with SLE in the United States, Canada, and Europe is approximately 95% at five years, 90% at 10 years, and 78% at 20 years.
 Hopefully that should explain my illness in a nutshell, I've mentioned it before, however most people do not see the seriousness of it because of House. :P

I spend most of my time TRYING to act healthy, when I'm at events or even in New York I put on my HEALTHY face. After some time everything really does get to you, sometimes even holding a book up is nothing but pure exhaustion.

I think it's important for me to "come out" with that information to all of my bloggers, I haven't forgot about the blog and hope to get a few posts up soon. But when it used to take me a few hours to finish a book it now takes me weeks.

So bear with me and hopefully I can get the gears moving again, I've never really been a blogger, I'm just Devyn, with the hat, who does THINGS and knows PEOPLE. ;)

I'm not looking for sympathy, so please refrain from comments of that type.

I love you all,
Devyn
 

1 comment:

Amy Lukavics said...

You rock, Devyn. Just thought you should know. <3 While I don't have it, I know that lupus is a demanding disease that brings with it constant struggle, and yet you are still working toward the cause to help others.

I applaud your strength and look forward to reading future posts!!