Saturday, November 22, 2014

Review: One Man Guy - Michael Barakiva

I've been in a reading slump for some time. I've found that to be a reoccurring problem in my life. Maybe it's because I read so many novels in my teen years I can sift through the good and the bad. Very rarely do I make myself finish a book if I cannot get into it.

As I've said on this blog before, this is a space for me to share books I've enjoyed. Not to be a billboard for the newest craze. Though, as of late I feel like I've only been highlighting LGBT books. But, there's nothing wrong with that, right?

I've read a lot of gay YA in my life and they usually all evolve around a white American teen who is in the process of coming out. That can get pretty boring after awhile which is why this book grabbed hold of me right off the bat.

Enter, Alek Khederian who happens to be Armenian. Armenian culture is something I'd not been exposed too probably because I'm one of those Americans. But I loved all of the information about Armenia that the book was filled with and the details of what being a gay underachiever in an Armenian family would be like.

This book has everything, drama, romance and comedy. I even found myself laughing out loud during rehearsal one night, Alek has a great sense of humor. I would recommend this book to anyone who happens to like love stories, LGBT books or even someone who would like to dig deeper into Armenian culture.

I for one have been doing my own research after finishing the book... great work Michael, Cher would be proud.

Purchase
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Publication: May 2014

No comments: