Friday, November 28, 2008

Interview #9 - A. W. Gryphon

Interview with A. W. Gryphon, Author of Blood Moon! Read our Blood Moon interview, here!


Where did the idea for Blood Moon come from?


That is a wonderful question. Many people ask this and I always find myself with a somewhat different answer because, quiet honestly, I don’t know. I’ve always been drawn to mysterious lore, powerful women, suspense and the supernatural. I think it was inevitable that I’d write a mystery driven suspense with a powerful female witch leading the way, but I’m not exactly sure how I’ve arrived here.

What is a typical day in your shoes?

A typical day in my shoes is very exciting. I’m a morning person so I’m up at the crack of dawn. I love that. I like being awake and alone with the earth while everything is still and people are in bed. I have my coffee and breakfast, work for a couple of hours, hit the gym with my trainer or a Pilates Plus class, then I’m back to writing until somewhere between noon and 2pm. At that point, unless I’m really on a role, I’m done writing for the day.

I take care of any business matters and personal ods and ins, I usually stop for tea at three – sometimes with a colleague, usually with Oprah, then I might see a movie or take a little time with a good book… unless Bones is on. That’s my favorite show. Everything stops for Bones. And that’s it. I’m generally in bed early so I can get up and start all over again the next day.


What are your writing habits, daily goals, etc.?


Every day that I write something down or simmer ideas in my head is a great day. My goals are really to keep my life in order enough to let me come in out of my writing flow without too many interruptions. That being said, I don’t put any pressure on myself. When I’m really cooking I write like crazy so it’s okay when all I’m doing is thinking about and absorbing an idea without putting it on paper.


How long did it take you from the point you started writing to the point of getting the book published?

I can’t remember exactly. I think it took about three years, more than half of which was wasted on waiting for someone else to do something for me. That was a big lesson.


What has been your least favorite part of the process?

I don’t have a least favorite part! It’s all fabulous!


Do you listen to music while you write?

Yes and no. I need total quiet while I’m typing, but I need a soundtrack for inspiration while during the writing process. I’ll play it in the car, while I’m having my coffee, when I’m taking a break or when I’m looking for a kick start. I usually have a few artists that really become all that I listen to over the course of getting a project completed. Right now I’m listening to Melissa Etheridge, Gaven Rossdale and Enya, and I can’t get enough of them.


Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?

Write, write, write and always listen to your heart. It’s all up to you and if you want it, you can have it.


What is your next project and when will it be in our hands?


I’m continuing with the Witches Moon Series. You will see Amelia continue on from where we left her at the end of Blood Moon, with a whole new story. I’m working on book three. I’m not exactly sure when book two will be out, but believe me, we’ll make sure everyone knows!


THANKS FOR TAKING TIME OUT TO CHAT WITH US A. W. GRYPHON!
You can check out her website here, and you can buy Blood Moon here!

No comments: